11 February 2012

And now, for something completely different ...

Last night, I had an experience that tested my usually composed demeanor.

For those of us who regularly present to clients and professional associations, "public speaking" (as some call it) can be relatively stress-free.  Think about it - we have agendas, plans to explain, PowerPoint shows which we are running, sometimes even a script or at least notes in our hand.  MouseMuse Productions knocked all those boxes out from under me.

They do evenings of story-telling where the performers/presenters are asked to tell a cohesive story on the chosen subject of the evening.  A few months ago, I went to watch a friend, and was badgered into putting my name into a hat to tell an impromptu short story.  The producers asked if I would come back to be "on the bill".  With trepidation, I said yes.

"Love Hurts" was the theme (It is approaching Valentine's Day, after all), and seven of us shared experiences on the concept.  In my case, I only got cotton mouth once.  I can't speak for the others.  At least one local reporter found the experience noteworthy - see "Love Hurts" So Good - http://goo.gl/lno5k. Who knows, maybe she's easily impressed.

I'm glad I did it, and I hope to do more.  Perhaps, I can learn how to be calmer when presenting.  Link to http://www.mousemuse.com/ to stay on top of upcoming schedules.  There's a rotating cadre of story-tellers.  Great fun.

No comments: