16 March 2012

Equivalent?

Yesterday I attended a conference where an Architect and the College client proudly boasted about their new "LEED Silver equivalent" building under construction.

No - it wasn't LEED (c), or LEED Certified, or even generically "Green" - just "equivalent".  Now, although I'm a LEED AP myself, and committed to all the important design principles; I have some sympathy for those unprepared to deal with the fees and bureaucracy of the USGBC approval process.  Nevertheless, it seems disingenuous to use this "equivalent" phrase.

Let's say I graduated from Architecture School, went through years of apprenticeship; but didn't feel like taking the exam.  Would anybody care if I called myself "Registered Equivalent"?  I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

Are we condoning the facilities version of street sale Gucci bags?  Who's to know?  The sincerity and honesty of the designers and clients are the only validation.  Is this good enough?

My suspicion is that it may resolve itself when the USGBC takes someone on legally.  It'll be an interesting fight to watch.

No comments: