16 October 2010

Miraculous

This past week, of course, has seen the miracle of the rescue of the trapped miners in Chile.  Many heartfelt opinions and observations have been written and broadcast, and the live footage of the escape capsule rising to the surface was mesmerizing.  Although the eloquence of the media commentators is intimidating, I'm compelled to comment.

Architects, such as myself, are trained with a an appreciation for how people relate to the spaces around them.  It's all about connections: visual, physical and psychological.  We use silly, fatuous jargon like "flow" and "sense of place".  Now, with LEED, we have even gone so far as to mathematically calculate minimum criteria for views and daylight.

Along with my professional acceptance of the value of these pursuits, I add personal quirks of mild claustrophobia and restlessness.  Consequently, I'm awestruck by the fortitude and resolve of those 33 brave men.

I have been told that it requires a special psyche to work as they did.  No doubt.  But the ability to overcome the months of deprivation, much less the first 17 days of entombment, is inspirational.  I suspect I'll never look at a fenestration pattern the same way again.

But this observation touches upon a mere fraction of the strength and bravery of what we saw this past week.  How many lessons could we learn?  I venture to say - many.

No comments: