11 October 2010

PowerPoint me

I've pretty much given up.

I've just finished my umpteenth PowerPoint show.  This one won't even be projected onto a screen.  Why PowerPoint for printed handouts?

It's just too easy.  Notice, I didn't say it's good.  The templates have all sorts of ready to use text boxes - easy to manipulate.  The bulleted outlines are there just waiting to be filled in.  Text is seamlessly cut and pasted from ubiquitous Word documents.

Graphic Designers (like my wife) hate it.  It's just too dumb and inelegant for their tastes.  They live in a world of Adobe Creative Suite and similar programs, and they're quite facile at it.  We poor souls, who write routine text for a living, don't usually get the right kind of practice to rise above the MS office humdrum.  For the most part, we're Bor-ring!

Maybe I'm lazy; or maybe I'm ambitious, but legitimately limited by the tools I'm using.  Architects are visual people.  Composition matters to us.  Attractive displays are memorable.  And memorable messages can have more business impact.

There must be a better way for people like us.  Help.


No comments: