26 August 2011

Character

If you're on my newsletter mail list, you've perhaps read what I think Steve Jobs adds to Apple.  My comments were made in the context of a 'light read' description of what makes for unique, effective organizations.  I posited that Steve's character would likely endure his eventual departure.

What did I know?  No more than virtually anyone else.  If fact, I was describing something I thought might start to happen a few years from now.  Steve Jobs business influence has been defined and analyzed by observers much more capable than I.  My point was that his character, both real and imagined, will likely symbolize the image of Apple for decades to come.  On that point, I remain convinced.

What I suspect will happen now is that, as Steve redefines his role at the company, the full image of the man and Apple will be refined and solidified.  It will be interesting to watch.  I wish all well, as this maturation transpires.

PS, If you're interested, you can subscribe to the periodic No Left Turn newsletter, also called Notes From The Road by clicking this link.  See the latest newsletter here.

No comments: