08 August 2011

Powerhouse

My brother and I are very different people.  I'm GDI, he's frat.  I'm east coast, he's heartland.   (not exactly - but something similar)

Based in Midland, Michigan, he's been employed by, or affiliated with, Dow Chemical most of his adult life.   When with Dow Corning, he worked on the process engineering of many products which found their way into construction.  On that we could relate.

Now, with the 'mother ship' (Dow), he's got a loose association with a new product coming to market later this year - Dow's Powerhouse Solar Shingle.  Last week, I got a chance to see the test panels inside the company compound, as well as the prototype house erected nearby to display this and other energy-saving products.  This new product bears watching.

It's a good idea that makes photovoltaic more of an option than ever before.  The shingles - actually the size of a pair of conventional three-tab roofing shingles - are laid up in the field of the roof with no added structure.  The orientation may not be ideal - that depends on the building design; but the installation could not be any more straightforward.

Price and efficacy will be important to the ultimate success.  I know I'll be watching with interest.  And not just because of my brother.


No comments: