18 August 2011

Woe is I

I live in an old house.  1913 - lots of original details.  Unfortunately, the vintage work includes nice historic clay pipe sewer lines.  As originally constructed, the roof drain leaders connect to the waste line out to the city main.

Every few years, enough roots grow through the joints of the clay pipe that I have to snake the line to get proper drainage.  This summer was that special time.  Heavy rains were more than the root-restricted pipes could handle.  It was quite a sight to see the water welling UP out of the basement toilet!

Long story shortened: Contractor one snakes, loses video camera in pipe, digs up front yard, replaces part of original pipe, leaves behind a front yard that I have to restore.  Landscape contractor repairs groundwork done by contractor one.  Water STILL backs up.  Contractor one comes back, water-jets the line.  Water backs up AGAIN - and AGAIN.

What would you do if you were me?  I called some construction friends; and found contractor two, who fixed the sewer problem - for now.

Now I'm trying to get some cost back from contractor one.  He says I didn't give him the chance to honor his 'Warranty', and says no.  So here I sit, unresolved.  At least the basement is dry.

So, this time I REALLY want comments.  Should contractor one pony up?

No comments: